2 new sessions available from WSHC education to support KS2 science
Science of Archaeology
Science of Conservation
Science of Archaeology - workshop session
Available in school or at the History Centre this session is designed to support KS2 science. Pupils will use simple experiments to discover the science behind the work of modern archaeologists.
- use magnets to find out how archaeologists reveal buried archaeology without excavation
- learn how plants can identify buried sites during droughts
- handle real finds to investigate their properites and applications
- discover how archaeologists use GPS technology to accurately map finds, sites, surveys and investigations
- have a look at the archaeology mapping for your local area
The workshop session involves students in fun activities that explain how and why archaeologists investigate in the area, what they find and how this adds to our knowledge of life in the locality 1,000s of years in the past.
Science of Conservation - workshop session
Available in school or at the History Centre this session is designed to support KS2 science. Pupils will use simple experiments to discover the science behind the work of our conservation service.
- conduct an experiment to investigate what happens to leather buried in a damp environment
- learn how conservators use biology and chemistry to conserve wet leather objects
- clean and record a piece of leather just like our conservators do
- use a powerful microscope to examine the structure of different leather samples
- find out about the properties and application of this material
The workshop session involves students in fun activities that explain how conservators use science to conserve ancient objects that have been excavated by archaeologists.
Visits to the History Centre
Workshop sessions at the History Centre will use some original material from the archaeology service. All visits to the History Centre include a tour of the strongroom and use of our public facilities; lockers, toilets, vending machines, area for eating lunch. There is full disabled access and a disabled toilet.
This session is available Monday-Friday
Sessions Morning 9.30am - 12noon
Afternoon 12.30pm - 3.00pm
Charge £2.50 per pupil +VAT
Maximum number 30 Tues-Fri
60 on Mondays
Visits to your school
Sessions at school will be delivered using replica material.
Charge £2.75 per pupil+VAT
Travel costs £15.00